Tuesday, September 7, 2010

World Cup 2010 aftermath

I love seeing that many people here in South Africa are still proudly flying the flag. I think it's one of the most positive things to come out of the world cup. So I am in no way suggesting that we take them all down... but.... yes, there is always a but.

As I drive through our beautiful city, I see a lot of flags. Flags on cars. Flags on poles next to the road. Flags abound. But it's been a while since the world cup, and a lot of them are looking decidedly tacky. Are we going to keep these on our cars till they fall apart? Are our municipalities going to leave the flags up until they're so covered in grime and dirt that they're unrecognisable? 

I hope not. I think that we either need to refresh the flags or take them down... we can make our city as clean as we like (I wish) but as long as these flags are still up, it will look shabby.

In the News:

Wikipedia Reveals Secret of 'The Mousetrap' - As someone who's actually seen the play, I think this is a tragedy for thespians everywhere.

New Calculations May Lead To a Test For String Theory - the first real test has been developed for String Theory... this could be a major breakthrough in our understanding of the universe.

Changing one of natures constants - Science is constantly challenging everything we think we know about the how the world works... no pun intended.

4Chan decides to do something nice for a change - wow... I didn't think these guys had it in them... but well done to them /cheer

UK music calls truce with technology - about time the music companies woke up to the new world paradigm

Transition metal catalysts could be key to origin of life - more evidence for a scientific explanation of Life, the Universe and Everything.

Duke Nukem Forever demoed at PAX - The gaming worlds biggest Vaporware title is actually on track (apparently)... after 12 years in development, I can't wait to play it.

And there you have it. Another week, another post. If you enjoy the blog, please post a comment, tell your friends and I'll see you next time.

-Odd

"...like stubbing your toe, only you've stubbed your mind."
    -Tycho, Penny Arcade

1 comment:

  1. I took my car flag down for that reason, all the flapping caused it to come apart and look crap.

    I was also hoping the trend would stay, but they are not selling them anymore (or I have not seen them)

    If I see someone selling them I will buy another one... any ideas for ones that will last longer?

    ReplyDelete